Day 13

501 Shelter, PA Travel Blog

Last night was a trip.  We talked at length with Leprechaun.  A 50 year old from Alaska - Fort Yukon.  He is hiking the AT to the Long Trail and then hike across Canada on teh trans-Canadian trial and it will take him a good year and a half from now.  Talk about long term goals.  He has been trapping squirrels and eating things that he finds on the trail.

I also heard the first rumors of the Great Eastern Trail.  It is supposed to be 3000 miles and run from Key West, Florida and go to northern Maine.  Spam man challenged all of us to be the first to complete is.  Not me, thats for sure.

We planned on doing 23 miles, but the rocks beat us up.  I mean whupped us.  We went down into SWATARA GAP.  It was really gorgeous.  We crossed the bridge over teh Union Canal, which was totally sweet.  Then we climbed Heartbreak Hill right after I-80.  It was rough.  But once we hit the peak of the mountain it was pretty smooth sailing.  It was just rocky.  We caught a bunch of animals today too.  We saw deer in the woods right after I-80.  We saw a snake right before we stoppedtoo.  Probably the coolest thing, though, was the hawks that were soaring around the rocks right before the shelter.

This shelter is pretty outrageous.  Phone, where you can order pizza.  And it has a shower and a skylight.  And PIZZA.  Really, how could you lose?  I gotta get some grub though.  Tough day tomorrow.

501 Shelter, PA