Day 1

Ed Garvey Shelter, MD Travel Blog

We started the day in Harpers Ferry, WV (Thanks to Virgil for the ride) and crossed over the footbridge into Maryland at about 2 p.m.  We did get a bit of a late start, but we were planning a light day anyway.  We followed the C&O Canal Towpath for about 2 miles or so and then turned up into the wilderness.  Harpers Ferry was a cool town and the Appalachian Trail Conservatory had some cool stuff - particularly a 3D relief map which really made me appreciate the trip we are undertaking.  Anyway, we ended up at the Ed Garvey Shelter with about 12 other folks and just chilled out.  We were starving, but realized that it was only 4:45.  I know we will sleep early, but thats just too early to eat.

I am dreaidng tomorrow a bit, because of the no coffee aspect.  It's gonna suck, but being a slave to the bean is probably suckier. Oh yeah, we saw Brian Banks and Mr. B in Harpers Ferry.  Brian hiked the southern half of the Trail, and was heading home to work for the summer.  The thing that amazed me most was his rediculous beard.  I mean this thing was LONG and scruffy.  How long until I get there?  Anyway, time for some dinner.  Ramen noodles it is.

Ed Garvey Shelter, MD