Day 2

Fort Mill Travel Blog

 › entry 2 of 4 › view all entries
    Well, needless to say, I only got an additionaly 15 minutes of sleep that night.  We got up, packed, and headed out to the lobby for our complimentary breakfast (which we all know is the best kind of breakfast).  Apparently, we weren't the only ones plagued by calls from the "I need to use your shower" guy.  This led to a discussion with the front desk clerk and an older couple, and we found out the low down on the creepy phone calls.  The caller was a man who thought that his wife was staying in the hotel that night with another man, and was desperately calling around with various stories to get one of the guests to let him into the hotel throught a side entrance, so that he could go and confront his wife.  I remembered hearing the phones go off in other rooms near us right after I hung up, so this made me feel slightly more confident that we weren't being stalked by a psychopathic killer.  After our fill of free muffins, danish, and orange juice (and grabbing some muffins for the road), we grabbed our bags and checked out.   
    The days journey was taken up once again by driving.  We got lost in Alabama, and heard a hillarious song called "Baby's Mama," on the radio..several times.  Adding to our enjoyment, we started seeing a garage chain by the name of "Grease Monkey."  We ended up stopping at some fast food place for lunch, and buying wood for our campsite at a convinience store.  By the time we got to St. Andrew's Park in Panama City, the sun was starting to set.  Jamie and I checked in at the entrance and set up our lovely tent in the dark, with a tiny flashlight, very non-helpful car headlights, and a rock.  So very impressive, I know.  We also set up a fire in the dark, which made it not as dark, and allowed us to cook dinner. 
    The campsite was right next to the water and a very thin strip of beach.  We roasted hot dogs and mountain pies, ate smores and guzzled down water out of gallon jugs.  I was exhausted and famished, so it was absolutely heavenly.  After we ate we set out to clean up.  The bathroom facilities were actually quite clean, complete with indoor showers and mirrors that let me see just how much soot I was covered in.  I can actually say that I slept better on the hard ground in my sleeping bag than I did in that Best Western the night before. 

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Fort Mill