The Rhinos and Murchison falls

Masindi Travel Blog

Im going to start my journal in Masindi (well...just before, but i can't remember the name of the rhino park. If anyone knows i'd be happy to be reminded).

The people that work at this park were brilliant. We actually arrived after it had closed and they'd stopped monitoring the rhinos for the night, but the boys went out of their way to go on a hunt for these fascinating animals assuring us that if they weren't sucessful we didn't have to pay!

They did find these white rhinos in the end and they were absolutely amazing (and perhaps slightly terrifying!?). As our guide was trying to get us closer to these huge animals, which are capable of inflicting an imense amount of pain on any human, the rhinos were feeling very territorial and edging further towards us.

It wasn't untill they were only a couple dozen metres away that we were told to walk away...slowly!!! haha, SLOWLY!!!?

We joined our red chilis tour in Masindi which thankfully is only a couple hours from Murchison. Immediately on arrival the guides told us there would be wild animals just hanging around, warthogs etc. That night (or early the next morning) me and my sister got woken up by this really loud grunting noise making its way around our tent (which was placed away from all the other tents for some reason!?-lol) followed by a shove on my sisters side. We were both thinkin 'Bloody warthogs'...It wasn't until the next day we were actually told it had been Harriet, a HIPPO!!!-lol. Heather (my sister) decided the next night she needed a few 'Nile Specials' (beer) before she went to sleep and proceeded to stay in the bar area, long after the electricity went out (Electricity tended to be a very unreliable form of energy out there).

The safaris at Murchison were brilliant. The first morning we crossed the Nile on this very questionable ferry for a 4 hour morning game-drive around the Victoria Nile delta area of the park. This is where the most game gathers (such as giraffe, buffalo, many antelope and even lions, which we disturbed!) and where there are spectacular views across Lake Albert into Congo and northern Uganda.

After lunch, and after they'd fixed our boat which had literally just broken, we went for a 3 hour boat trip up-stream towards the base of Murchison Falls. Gettin very close to more Hippos, huge Nile Crocodiles and fantastically varied bird-life. We also saw a huge heard of elephant on the banks!

On the last day we stopped off at the falls for a guided walking tour which was amazing. (well...i mean, its no Vic falls but its still pretty spectacular and the rainbows were beautiful!)

It was a amazing trip. The people that work for red chilis were fantastic! Really friendly, helpful and know what they're on about. I definitely recommend a Red Chilis tour to Murchison Falls.

rinne says:
I've always wanted to see them, but me and my sis were on a very budgeted trip (very last min) and so couldn't afford it. Also most the gorillas are actually in Rwanda these days. Will do it some day!!
Posted on: Apr 26, 2008