Gone to the Dogs

Luray Travel Blog

Last June we adopted Rain, a three year old yellow lab.  He is all boy, a ninety pound ball of energy who initially terrorized the cats, but they get along quite well now.   Of course the new pooch had to be accepted by his extended family, so a rendezvous was planned to meet my wife’s brother’s family.  The main event would be introducing Rain to Genevieve (Genny), their German Short Haired Pointer.

The meeting site was roughly midway between our homes, the Skyland Resort on storied Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park.  We would miss peak leaf season, but I had never been and was excited to go.  My brother-in-law has been section hiking the Appalachian Trail and planned a decent hike over turf he was familiar with, so it sounded like a sweet deal.  Off to Shenandoah!

It was about a seven hour drive from our digs and we departed noon on Friday.  Rain is a beast when you take him for a walk, scaring away most folks we encounter with his barks and snarls (though he wouldn’t hurt a fly), but a real champ in the car.  Kim and I split driving duties and arrived at Skyland Resort around 8:30PM.

Skyland is at about 3,700 feet elevation and was pretty dang chilly, especially since we were in a room that permitted dogs and the heat was turned off.  First task was switching on the heat, but after dumping our luggage we walked down a couple doors to catch up with Jeff and family (consisting of his wife Patti and their children, Bretta and JJ, both very close to Spencer’s age).

Stayed up late gabbing and laughing, a fun reunion.  Rain and Genny weren’t quite so amiable, but they tolerated each other so all was well.

aloneinthecrowd says:
Congrats on your featured blog, Vance :) It's great to travel with a dog when the dog likes it. I miss the days with my beloved Buddy. He loved traveling so much that he was the first in the car to make sure we won't forget him. How could we? ;)
Posted on: Dec 19, 2015
Africancrab says:
Interesting.
Posted on: Nov 17, 2010
hummingbird50 says:
Awww well I am glad they at least tolerated each other.
Rain sounds like a very protective dog.
I have a sheltie his name is Tuggs...and he is the most gentle dog on this earth...but put him on a leash ands take where there are lots of people and dogs..he is way more protective than he needs to be. He is 13 now...and has finally calmed down now:)
Ooooo I have always wanted to hike parts of the Appalachian Trail.
Yiipeee let's go!!!!!
Posted on: Nov 13, 2010
Luray Hotels & Accommodations review
Skyland is the limit...
This splendid retreat from the masses was originally constructed in 1886, the site selected because it exits at 3,700 feet, the peak of Skyline Drive.… read entire review
Luray