AsiaJapanTokyo

Tokyo Travel Blog

Kamakura and Yokohama

It was a nice day so I decided to travel to Kamakura in search of the Great Buddha. It was a gorgeous trip. I saw an incredible view of Mt. Fuji, unfortunately we were on the train and I wasn’t able to take a picture, but the quick glimpse I had will forever be captured in my mind. We traveled along the Pacific Coast. It was the first beach sighting I had since arriving in Tokyo. I was thrilled. I absolutely love the ocean and beaches.

One of the many joys of Japan are the bright colors and love of everything cartoonistic. Thus, the Happy Train (as I like to call it) which takes you on a ride from Kamakura Station to the tourist area of the Great Buddha.

The Great Buddha is pretty cool, especially because you can go inside of it.

The Happy Train
There’s really nothing special inside, but anytime you can go inside of a statue, particularly a sacred statue, is pretty cool in my book. Personally I really wanted to sit in the Buddha’s lap, but some how feared I would be scorned by the locals, so I resisted the temptation.

After visiting Buddha we (my roommate and I) went down to Kamakura Beach where we spent about an hour strolling the windy sands looking for seashells.

Once we had found plenty of seashells we headed to Yokohama, home of the world’s largest China Town and Ferris Wheel (Japan is pretty diverse when it comes to these sort of things). We got there a bit late in the day and were starving so naturally we went to McDonalds…just kidding we ate Chinese. It wasn’t too bad, the fried rice was great. I’m still getting used to the food in Japan though.

We wandered through China Town just checking the sites.

The Great Buddha
I saw a giant Panda and a 2,000 yen ($20) watermelon. Fruit here is insanely expensive. It wasn’t even a big watermelon, more of a baby.

We also visited the Red Brick Mall, which is pretty cool. It is an old red brick warehouse on the waterfront near the Ferris wheel. There is nothing indicating that this is a shopping mall or even an open building, but it is. There are some excellent restaurants and great shops in side. I will definitely be taking another trip to Yokohama.

This was my first real sightseeing adventure in Tokyo and it was well worth it!

The Great Buddha and I