My First Subway Alone

Tokyo Travel Blog

Today I had to go to the Hachioji City Office and apply for my Alien Registration Card. This was pretty intimidating because it would be my first experience on the labyrinth they call a subway system. Luckily my roommate had to go in the same direction so she took me and taught me how to use the subway, which seems complicated at first but I caught on fast. It’s a bit overwhelming though when you’re not quite sure where you are going and you really can’t just ask someone off the street to help you. My survival instincts kicked in pretty quickly and I found my way. It was a bit exhausting though and by the time I finished at the city office I was exhausted and starving because I really haven’t ate a meal for the past 3 days. I was walking back to the train station, praying that I was going the right way and most importantly that I would find food on the way. Fortunately I found the station and out the corner of my eye I saw what I thought might be tempura. It was tempura! Yes! The first appealing food place I found. I went in, pointed to a picture and had a beer. It was heaven! This was the first moment for which I felt relief, like I might actually make it.

I have to say I am quite proud of myself. There are McDonalds everywhere and even a KFC across the street, but unlike my roommates who haven’t ventured much into the Japanese restaurants, I’m trying my best to stay away from the American food and go for the real stuff. My roommates said they are taking me out tomorrow for a welcome dinner and night out and they want to go to the Outback. Yes, the Outback Steakhouse! I laughed.

It all still hasn’t quite settled yet, but I begin work on Monday and I’ll see how it goes. So far I think I’m going to like it. It will be nice to meet more people though.

photo by: maka77