White Water Rafting

Cairns Travel Blog

Well for my first day in Cairns I thought I would do something that didnt matter if the weather was crap (which believe me it hasnt stopped raining all day & night!) so I went White Water Rafting, oh my lord what a wicked wicked day, got picked up at 6.40 this morning, bit early but hey, it took us about two hours to get to Tully River which is where we rafted, we were in the water by 9.30, the first 20 mins was just explaining what we needed to do and then we were off, and as it rained all day it worked in our favour it made the rapids bigger, so much fun and as there has been so much rain there are waterfalls coming into the rapids which arent normally there, we even got to go through one of them, which actually did manage to capsize a couple of the rafts, lunch was a bbq under canvas and then we were off again for the whole afternoon, the afternoon was definately better as we had all sort of got the hang of it and lost lots of the fear, on the way back we went to a bar to watch all the video footage from the day, but....didnt buy it, it was too expensive and you couldnt see me enought to make it worth while.  The one sad thing about today though is that driving up to Tully River you could see all the damage that the recent Cyclone did to all the Banana Crops, miles and miles and the amount of house that now have Taupaulin draped over the roofs, even when we were rafting you could see all the damage to the Rainforest that we were surrounded by, Huge trees lifted out by there roots...madness, anyway didnt get back till nearly 8pm tonight, spent an hour or so with the travel desk working out my next few days of adventures!
photo by: Katie_Kate