Mantaray Island - here I learn to be a Scuba Chick!

Mantaray Island Travel Blog

June 29th

Bus to ferry port then onto ferry heading to Mantaray Island, arrived by luchtime, not what expected - 40 Bed Dorm, but not so bad as partitioned off into 4 bed rooms.  Not sunny so not looking like paradise at all.  Toilets eco friendly (no flush) they are housed in a separate building and only cold showers available.  But on the plus side it has a dive shop, so have decided to do my Open Water Diving Course, it takes 3 days so headed to reception to extend my stay, no chance fully booked, spoke to dive guys they suggested some other resorts they could pick me up from, so tried at reception and they were all fully booked too...seeing a pattern here, looks like I am going to have to plan the next 2 weeks and book up the accomodation, got it sorted in the end and start diving tomorow.

with Hammocks
.. once again everyone seems to be in bed early, not much partying going on here!

July 30th

Down to dive shop for 9am start, got kitted out in wetsuit...ummm look great!, fins and mask.  The day starts off with run dow of all equipment, 1st dive is an intro dive from the beach, so kitted out in wetsuit and dive tank we got the easy task of walking to the other end of the beach, the tank is heavier than my backpack, which is saying something! 1st shown basics and then off into the water for the 1st taster of diving, which was great, so glad I like it and didnt feel paniced under water.  We got a 10 minute break before it was time to go for our 2nd dive, then luch followed by a long afternoon of theory finishing up at 5.30.  So the plan was dinner and earlish night.

and a bar
..not so, I had dinner with Paula who I had been diving with and managed to drink far far too much, still it was only 12 when I went to bed and again the whole dorm was asleep......still no partying going on anywhere!

31st June

Felt fantastic this morning...not! first dive was a struggle, today we had to fill masks, clear them, take them off etc...1 hour break before 2nd dive, spent the time starting to do the theory work...and managed to burn the back of my legs in the process!  Completed 2nd dive then after lunch did my written exam, two of us did it and both got 80% and passed, spent the rest of the day doing theory (I have a whole book to complete!)...the plan for tonight was to go to bed after dinner and get up again at 2.30am to watch the England/Portugal game...never works out didnt end up going to bed till 12, so pressed snooze alot at 2.30 and decided I just couldnt get up, coupled with not wanting to complete scuba diving course on only 4 hours sleep, so never made it...funny though, 40 bed dorm and at least 15 alarms going off at 2.30 the rest of the people must of been really happy.....

Mantaray Island