1st day in Bali - Kuta

Kuta Travel Blog

Well I arrived in Bali late last night, I came through customs and a guy who worked at the airport even carried my bag from the carousel....how friendly is that.....then 10 yards later (which is all I needed to go) I realised I had to pay him for this service, oh well you live and learn.  I've checked into a proper hotel for a couple of days, oh bliss my own room, own bathroom and best of all a huge double bed all to myself, after 4 1/2 months believe me that was luxury.  Well started the day by going exploring and getting my bearings, also to try and work out where I go from here and what I do.  Well if I thought Australia had loads of surf shops its nothing compared to here, there are loads of them, unfortunately its the one place you cant barter, but they are way cheaper than Oz.  I took a walk down to the beach, which took me a good hour or so, for the simple fact that there are so many shops and every owner is trying to drag you in (reminds me of being in Turkey) it seems that everyone is fighting for your business.  Once at Kuta beach, I couldnt believe how many surfers there were, with surf boards for hire every 3-4 metres down the beach, best I have a lesson before hiring out a board, some big waves out there!  I sat with a guy in one of the many tourist information centres (well sat on a step next to his hut)  and now have some sort of plan and idea of what I want to do, 1st thing booked is a surf lesson for tomorow afternoon.  It seems that bartering is a way of life here, I did get it discounted but looking back think I could have got it down some more, not quiet there on how much you can barter yet! I spent a couple more hours getting my bearings and did a fare amount of walking Kuta is alot bigger than it appears, I stopped for a late lunch and check this, it cost me a total of 1 pound 50p, that was for a proper dish and a diet coke...how cheap!!!  there also seems to be many many spa's here and Reflexology seems to be a big thing, so thought I would give it a go, I managed to barter the price down and it cost me a total of 3 pounds for an hour, bargain, tiny little balinese girl who did mine, but oh was she strong, she put some real force into it, she didnt speak english so couldnt find out what she could feel in my feet.  Again I did some more walking and looking around, there really are hundreds and hundreds of shops and many bars and restaurants, some of the buildings are absolutely gorgeous and the bars and restaurants are really nicely decked out, and having checked, even in the most expensive ones you arent paying for than 2 pounds for a main dish.   I think I have been propositioned quiet a few times tonight......luckily I have read my lonely planet so know that Kuta has a huge amount of male giggolo or cowboys as they are know here...funny, not something I expected to experience.  1st impressions of Bali is that the people are extremely friendly and helpful and Bali has so much culture and customs all there for me to explore, I think I am going to like it here!

Kuta