Beginnings...

San Juan Travel Blog

In order to save about $600 on round-trip air fares for our trio, my wife, daughter and I started our trip to Puerto Rico by driving almost an hour to Killeen, Texas (near the huge Fort Hood military base).  We were surprised that this facility was much larger than the Waco airport, but still boarded a small prop plane to be shuttled to Houston for the main event.  What became a recurring theme for the close ties between the US and Puerto Rico, we were astonished that of the twenty-two folks on this commuter flight, ten continued on to San Juan!  In addition to our party of three, there was a family of four, a couple and a single woman whom we recognized.

Having traveled to the Caribbean several times from the East Coast, we were surprised that the flight time was four hours…but it slowly dawned upon us that Houston is a bit further west, lol.  An important footnote is that Puerto Rico exists on Atlantic Standard Time, an hour ahead of EST --- but since they don’t have daylight savings, it was only an hour change for us on CDT during the summer.  So with the hour loss it was Saturday night before we touched down and hailed a cab to deliver us to the nearby Holiday Inn for the night.

Of course we scanned the baggage claim area in search of a number for our hotel to score a free shuttle, but learned that because of the taxi union, these were not permitted!  So please forget about free shuttle service if you head to Puerto Rico.  Worse yet, the taxi’s charge per person and hit you up for each piece of luggage!  Although our lodging was only a mile away, it was a $12.50 cab fare to reach our destination.

We were only staging here to catch a flight the next day, but we hit the bar to get a bedtime snack and toast being on vacation.  We ordered a virgin pina colada for our daughter, and it was the best one she would have…the calamari appetizer Kim & I ordered was fantastic!!!  Although our room was cramped and a bit grubby (with wonderfully tacky light fixtures, lol), the arrival celebration made up for it.

stanhoperay says:
Hi there, My name is Stan and I have found Puerto Rico to be a wonderful destination. It is a great starting place for an Ocean cruise, as well as a nice place to stay, once you find one of thoes hidden jewels.
I will be taking my forth curise out of San Juan, over the easter vacation. I have written a blog about the cost of my trip, as well as a review of the Cruz Inn, in Dorado (about 20 mi west of San Juan). Additionally I just published a new web site for the facility.
If you have the time and interest, giev us a visit.

Http://cruz-inn-sanjuan.com

my Email there is: Manager@cruz-inn-sanjuan.com

Thanks for taking your time to read this. It is my hope that I have not overly imposed on you.

Respectfully yours

Sstanley R Kirlin
Posted on: Jan 28, 2008
dodge says:
seems you had an interesting start for the trip :D
Posted on: Jun 18, 2007