Day trip to Isle of Wight

Isle Of Wight Travel Blog

Leaving Southampton

I'm still wondering how I even thought of this place to begin with! Not that it's a bad place, but even the most popular and exhaustive tourist books like Rick Steves or Frommers barely mention this island. I think it all began with my planning on a day trip looking at Anderson Tours, and that website had a day trip around this time to the "Isle of Wight". Then began the whole ordeal of going back and forth on TALF - "should I, shouldn't I be going at this time of the year" with the likes of Anemone asking me to hold off till May and use the same day in London instead. But seeing as travelling on your own to this island was a bit tough (esp one that's not even "touristy" compared to other parts of England), I wanted to go with a tour company and sadly Feb was the only time this was being offered.

St.Mildred's Church, Whippingham
So I took it.

The day was cold and wet and I got up late although I was hoping I'd wake up early. I ran through Earl's Court Station to the other side where the bus was picking up. You'd think that a February trip would be less infested with tourists but the bus was PACKED. I had the dubious honour of being the 2nd last on the bus (well technically the last, the other guy was a no-show) so I wasn't exactly greeted with smiles. The bus took off roughly by 9:15am and our driver gave us a good history of London as we drove out of the city, and towards Southampton. I had slept without realising it. We got on the ferry, it was chilly and cold. But I loved it. I just love the English weather...I don't miss the sun AT ALL!

Arrival into the Isle of Wight reminded me of the Isle of Arran from 3 years ago.

Victoria's grave, St.Mildred's Church
Our first stop was the East Cowes where we disembardked before we travelled to a lovely church in Whippingham, called St.Mildred's Church. This was simply gorgeous, lovely church in the middle of lush green English fields, loved every moment of it. We had the guide explain and we saw the tomb of Mountbatten. Being Indian, it was nice hearing the name as he's been associated with the British Raj quite a bit. We then passed through the capital town of Newport onto another town Sandown. It was here we went to a church, took in views of the town before driving down to Shanklin. This was our lunch break. Beautiful coastal town, there was this mighty wind blowing and albeit cold, it was an utter joy walking down the coast. It was unforgivingly chilly, but I loved every bit of it. I was also getting to know some of the people on the coach including some Korean girls and this cool bloke Matt (of Filipino-Australian descent).
around Newport

Most of the people went to "The Crab" for lunch but I wasn't feeling very hungry so for me, lunch was at a delightful coffee shop called Pendletons. I had their soup of the day - tomato and capsicum with bread rolls. All too impressive.

On our ride back, it had gotten really cold and wet, not that I minded of course ;-) We stopped at Ventnor at a useless gem factory (toilet stop, hee hee) before going along the south west coast passing by Niton, Brighstone and Totland till we reached Yarmouth. It was here we caught our ferry back to the mainland. Arrival into proper London was around 9pm, much later than anticipated but that ain't too bad as the traffic was bad and it was raining.

Dinner that night was classic fish'n'chips and a Guiness at a local pub on the main Earl's Court road.

Newport church
It was hugely enjoyable, the rsnt (can't for the life of me remember the name) was on the first floor (2nd floor in American speak) and I got a good view of the road whilst having my dinner. Checked Internet and made my way back to the hostel. My roommate was a gentleman in perhaps his mid 50s who'd come in from Leeds on some business work in London, and we got talking about the differences between life in North and South England and all, was quite interesting.

So, that's DAY FOUR! A day trip, and another place on the British map I can strike off as having seen. So many more places to see, but at least it's good that I'm able to see quite a few. T'row's the big day... WINDSOR CASTLE!

Cho says:
Vikram, I was on the Isle of Wight way back in 1984, but not to the same places you went to. I was in Ryde, but remember taking the ferry from Southampton...wonderful memories!
Posted on: Jul 18, 2015
mskadu says:
Lovely pictures Vikram. You just helped me decide where i am going this weekend.

thanks!
Posted on: Apr 21, 2006
St.Mildreds Church, Whippingham
St.Mildred's Church, Whippingham
Victorias grave, St.Mildreds Chu…
Victoria's grave, St.Mildred's Ch…
Shanklin coast