more baking and some home improvements

Roatan Travel Blog

beginning stages of the apartment

Round the clock rain today, with short dry spells in between, so we weren't out selling for long! We now have a few places that take our baked goods on consignment, a small grocery store, a minimart and a restaurant, and a few of the diveshops will let us leave our leftovers there as well. Collect the money the next day, and whatever doesn't sell gets taken home for snacks, so I'm trying to get a feel for quantity so that we don't get roly-poly like Santa Claus (in Deo's words). And getting a better idea of how much I need to be buying of ingredients so we don't have to go into the grocery store quite so much. If anyone has any fabulous recipes that don't require any fancy ingredients and are quick and easy, email me them! I do my banana bread and muffins every day, and usually cinnamon rolls: planning to try out lemon poppyseed loaf, and maybe a coffee cake- if you have a good carrot cake recipe, I'd take that.

Goose
Haven't kicked off the cooking classes yet, we wanted to get a little more organized, and I needed someone who could watch the boys: we planning to do a practice run with a few friends to give us feedback on Thurs.

My parents will be coming down this weekend, staying at a resort on the other side of the island, so it'll be a bit of a jaunt back and forth, but we're really looking forward to their visit. They'll be here for Deo's birthday party, he's pretty excited about that.

*next day*

Last night we did a test run of our cooking classes, with a couple friends over to give us some feedback. It went pretty well, but we'll definitely have to get the kids out of the house. Julie was working, so Steven brought the kids and sandi (my helper) played with them all, but they kept leaving the spareroom and coming out to see what was going on.

almost completed apartment

I've been building an apartment under the house.  It'll be for short-term renters while we're here, and then I'll have a caretaker in when we're gone, and rent out my house shortterm. It's built from cement, one bedroom with airconditioner, then a mainroom that will have a loveseat and chair (my old set), a kitchenette and bathroom, and a backdoor out to a little terrace. They're just working on putting down the ceramic tiles at the moment. I think it's going to look nicer than upstairs, and with the airconditioner, we might have to go downstair for a little vacation when the weather's too hot! And whenever it's not rented, any visitors I have will have their own little place instead of being in the spare room!

kitchen of the apartment