AsiaJapanKyoto

The First Day

Kyoto Travel Blog

At the Gion Corner

We left Ami and are now in Kyoto! Our trip started today and I will admit the trip did not start out well. I had lost my voice on Thursday and not recovered it and I had developed a horrible cough that kept me up on Saturday night. I finally had to take some medicine to fall asleep so when I woke up I was super groggy.

Hiromi took Andrea and I to the train station but first we stopped at McDonalds to get some breakfast; Andrea bit into a hash brown and somehow managed to crack her wisdom tooth. This did not register in my mind because the medicine was still in effect. We made it to the train station and got on the train to head to Tokyo where we going to get on the Bullet Train. On the train Andrea started to get super hot, nauseous, and almost passed out.

Tea Ceremony at the Gion Corner
Once again, this did not register because I kept falling asleep. I have learned from this not to take medicine that will make me sleepy if it is past one o’clock in the morning. Andrea recovered much to my relief when I finally woke up enough to realize that she really wasn’t feeling well.

We made it to the Bullet Train and got on. OH MY GOSH!!! The bullet train is better than a plane. There is so much leg room and of course you get a super view out the window of the country whizzing by. The only bummer on the Bullet Train was that we were unable to see Mount Fuji due to low clouds. I was able to get a small glance of Kobe and Osaka. I was amazed with how great Kobe looked after the horrible earthquake of 1995. From what I saw the city has really recovered from it.

We arrived in Kyoto and went to our hotel and proceeded to plan our trip. We decided that we would go to the Gion District and watch a show about the traditional Japanese Arts that night, the next day we would head to Hiroshima and Miyajima, Tuesday we would take the one-day tour of Kyoto, Wednesday we would go to Himeji, and on Thursday we would go do touristy things before leaving.

Kyoto