The Largest Town in the Moutains

Asheville Travel Blog

Asheville is about an hour and a half drive from Murphy (depedning on traffic) through some more of beautiful North Carolina. Asheville is in my opinion a city but most would still call it a town. It has close to 70,000 people which makes it a city in my opinion.  Asheville is rather a strange place if you ask me but I still enjoy it...after all, I have friends there so I have to pay it a visit every once in a while. You still get the peace of the country and the beauty of the mountains and the southern hospitality like Murphy but it comes with a lot more to offer than an old church and theater :)

The Blue Ridge Parkay runs through Asheville thus the reason that most people know it as the only city in the mountains of NC. I explain to some that I lived in a town west of Asheville and they give them that dog stare. You know, the one where they cock their head to one side and you at you funny...jk...some do however, tell me they didn't realize there were smaller towns in that direction. At any rate, the Blue Ridge Parkway is an excellent drive through this area and makes for a great roadtrip. While I haven't been on the entire parkway, I can vouch for the southern portion. If you are ambitious, hiking the trail in segments and camping is an awesome suggestion.  I do know people that have done this...twice!

Also in Asheville is the famous Biltmore Estates. The Biltmore is the largest home built in American and it sits on 8000 acres. The house is absolutley amazing and comes complete with acres of seasonal gardens, a winery, a HUGE swimming pool, bowling alley, an out-of-control library, coutless rooms and everything else that you would expect to be a place of this magnitude. I highly recommend visiting the Biltmore during the spring when the gardens are in full bloom or in the winter when it is decorated for Christmas and snow is on the ground---beautiful! For those of you who hasn't visited the Biltmore, maybe you have seen the movie Richie Rich...it was filmed at the estates.

There are other claims to fame that give Asheville a name on the map but this is a family website and I will leave that to you to find out :-) Besides these two great wonderments, Asheville is abundent in coffee shops, great restaurants, shopping, and much more to see. If none of that sounds good, then visit it for the scenery. And if that still doesn't sound good then be sure to check it out for the reasons I can't mention on a family website...errr, its uniqueness :)

dmae712 says:
I love Biltmore! I went there last August. I would love to go there again in the fall for the beautiful autumn leave colors!
Posted on: Jul 15, 2007