AsiaIndia

Adventures In Ayurveda

Kerala Travel Blog

The path to Thulassi Hut.
As Faye Dunaway said in " Mommy Dearest, " this ain't my first time at the rodeo. Likewise, this was not my first time giving myself over to the science of ayurveda. Long considered to be the most authentic form of ayurveda, Kerala practioners take great pride in their facilities and skills. These are not witch doctors, nor are they quacks. These men and women are highly educated, skilled and caring individuals who work hard with patients to ease whatever ailment they seek to relieve. I checked into Rajah Healthy Acres and was immediately welcomed with fresh coconut water right from the coconut and then was ushered into an interview with my physician, who had already received my medical history. At Rajah, there are a choice of various accomodations amid rubber plantations, farms and various herbal gardens.
A small hillside beside the hut.
The environment is an ecological haven and great care is traken to preserve the integrity of the land, wildlife, the patients and the staff. My hut was in a grove of bamboo trees and the sounds of the wildlife seemed right out of an old Tarzan movie. The regimen was strict, as dictated by my health issues and there was no room for negotiation. I was there for their expertise - a science which dates back 5,000 years and has shown to be effective for many healthcare problems. Forget modesty - believe me. The ladies respected my privacy, but at 54 and having seen better days, believe me, getting " nekkid " except for a cheesecloth g-string was a eye opener every morning. Hey, it works, so who am I to argue ? I am just damned glad I won't end up on You Tube.
Bamboo thicket from front porch.
The diet was structured also to my issues and was very vegetarian, but delicious and hearty. The fresh juices were very fresh and the sense of peace and calm was wonderful. I was massaged, damned near boiled in oil, had enough herbs rubbed into my body to roast my haunches for Thanksgiving dinner and finally flogged beyond belief - but, it did feel good, much to my surprise. The showers ? Forget about it. I was taken to the shower and bathed and they use a home made concoction which made my skin feel like silk and I never had to use a lotion...this from a woman who has The Worlds' Driest Skin. Within days, my mobility was improved and I was no longer dreading those first few waking hours when I never knew how badly it would hurt to walk to the bathroom. I would awaken, walk out onto the porch, watch for the peacocks and enjoy the sunrise. Time passed quickly and it was soon time to go. I miss my ladies. Those wonderful women who view their work as part of their personal credo. I cannot wait to go back.
Bamboo thicket from front porch.
The surrounding area by hut.
The surrounding area by hut.
The treatment room.