Wish I Brought, Glad I Brought

Cusco Travel Blog

Following the trek, here are some things I wish I brought (were not on my original pack list), things I'm glad I brought, and some things I probably wouldn't bring but would be nice if I did.

Wish I brought:

- A hat: baseball, sombrero, whatever.  The UV was a LOT stronger than I expected (clear skies, high altitude), and I was burned even with sunscreen on!  Also, without a cap, I was always squinting uncomfortably (even with sunglasses).  I bought a cap in the market on the third night making the last two days easier.   It's a cheesy Fubu fake, but I'm wearing it for the rest of my trip!

- A steel brush.  To brush off some of the dirt on the boulders to climb :P

- A garbage bag.  My tent-mate's boots had a pretty foul odor!  I forgot my dryer sheets at home, but shoes definitely had to be kept in the tent as there were incidences of items, including shoes, being stolen from people who left them outside their tents.

- Chapstick with SPF protection.  My lips are toast from the weather conditions.

Glad I Brought:

- Hydration pack.  I had a 3 liter hydration pack with a tube I kept in my day pack.  The drinking tube was convenient as I could drink/hydrate all day.  This definitely contributed to my speediness on the trek - I actually arrived at some rest stops half an hour before other people in my group, even with a sore knee and stopping to take many pictures (I probably took more pictures than everyone else in the group combined!).  A hydration pack is light when not used, so why not bring it along?

- My own sleeping bag.  The first night was VERY cold.  I woke up early, but didn't wander around, because even with 2 layers of fleece and an apalca sweater, I was still shivering.  My tent-mate rented a sleeping bag.  It was rated to -10, but it was an old synthetic and the loft was dead.  He was cold.

- Apalca hat, gloves, and sweater.  I bought these extra items in Cuzco before going on the trek and used them all.

- First aid stuff I never used before: Blister packs (for my trekking partners), Pristine water treatment (there is water to be purchased on the way, but you create waste), wet wipes (becase there are no showers for the first 4 days), sewing kit (my tent had a rip)

- Hiking poles.  I gave them both away on the first day to slower people in my group, but it helped them immensely on the ascent.  Later, when I injured my knee, I procured two sticks and it helped me a lot.

Would be Nice: