Money, Money, Money

Copacabana Travel Blog

Damn.  I brought Canadian dollars with me here, thinking I could easily change them like in Turkey or Nepal.  I was completely wrong.  US dollars rule here.  Euros are OK, but in Bolivia, the official currency is USD (I'm thinking the same applies to Peru too).

To all Canadians (and pretty much non US and EU people), I don't really want to say this, but get US dollars.   If I wanted to change my Canadian dollars here, the exchange office's initial offer is 50% of what I would get at a bank.  After barganing with them, the best rate I can get is still a 25% loss.  Banks won't change Canadian dollars, so I'm pretty much stuck with them for the rest of the trip.

I'm going to give it another go in La Paz since it's a capital city, but I don't have the highest hopes since even in Cuzco, the gringo capital, the bank there wouldn't change my Canadian dollars.
syltrav says:
Dude... after all this... Canadian cash???
I don't even bring CDN$$$ to the States!!!
Anyway...I got news for you... BIG NEWS!
My next trip to Europe will probably include a trip across the Alps by Mountain Bike... from Rome to Dresden... 2008-2009 not sure, it would be a great 50th birthday gift to myself, biking into Germany from the south...
that would be so AWESOME...

WOW... La Paz... can't wait!
Posted on: Jun 28, 2007