Anaconda and Cobra Hunting

Madidi National Park Travel Blog

Anaconda hunting

The second day's itinerary on the Pampas tour commences with an anaconda hunt in the morning.  They're not as big as the ones in say, Venezuela, but still can reach up to 3 meters long here.

Unfortunately, our day gets off to a bad start as upon entering the swamp, a band of angry wasps attack us - and they pack a pretty mean sting!  They probably were irritated by a previous group passing and decided to take out their anger on us.   As an immediate remedy, our guide places a wad of mud and dung our stings to reduce the inflammation...  So I'm walking around the rest of the day with a brown patch on my neck.  Nice.

Back to the anaconda hunting.

Armed with rubber boots, we gingerly wade into the swamp to feel out these anacondas we so desire to extract.

A venomous cobra.
  Within the first 5 minutes, a couple in our group discovers something else - a nest of venomous cobras!  And they're pretty large too.  To put a long story short, the guides pull them out by their tails like Steve Irwin, accidentally swinging them within inches of us, and eventually soothe them down.

Of course, at that point, we had the option of putting the cobras around our necks.  When it was my turn, my guide tells me to hold the head.  Then he lets go.

Great.  I'm stuck with a venomous cobra.

We don't find any anacondas that day, but the cobra and the wasp experiences were sufficient adventures.

And later that day and at night, we go catching alligators and pirahnas anyways.  I've held more reptilian skin in these past two days than in my entire life...

Madidi National Park