Oktoberfest, 200th Celebration

Munich Travel Blog

Willkommen!

Oktoberfest! I had been looking forward to this occasion before I had even left from the states! Seeing this festival portrayed in various movies, I just knew I had to go one day and when better than for its 200th year celebration?

Almost everyone from my study abroad group went, we bought the Schoenes Wochenende ticket. One amazing thing about the German train system, traveling on weekends can be cheap if traveling with more than 2 people. This ticket costs about 40 euros and you can go ANYWHERE in Germany for the day for up to 5 people, so roundtrip to Munich was 16 euros :D however you cannot go by fast trains, so the journey there was 8 hours.

My group of 5 ended up spending the night before (along with other groups) at Raphaels (one of the program organizers) apartment so we can walk to the train station from them early morning, take the first train out at around 4AM.

3 meter bratwurst
However we stayed up practically all night, got about 2 hours of sleep because we were talking and listening to John sing and Fritz play the guitar, very hilarious. Well, we woke up and walked the short walk to the Hauptbahnhof, central station, and off we went. We switched trains about twice, and met a lot of our other groups there on the train, many of them who had already started the celebration around 8AM with the drinking.

Later on I encountered my first soccer hooligans! Cute and amuzing at first, until they continued with the drinking and the shouting and the horrible singing. They however loved Bayen sooo much and I'm pretty sure they ended up winning that game.

About 8 long hours on that train, not being able to sleep with all the chanting, we finally arrived at the Munich Hauptbahnhof :-D Now.

Prost!
.. Oktoberfest! We eventually found our way and met some friends at the entrance, then the party began.

We joined a line to get into a Biergarten and finally made it after 20 minutes of waiting and watching drunk people getting kicked out, as well as watching people sneaking in getting caught. We found a spot at one of the tables and sat down, little did we know that we came during Italian week, so many Italians but they were nice! We tried getting inside the Tent where it looked like a whole different party indoors with people dancing ontop of tables and singing but the line was too long and we were content just being inside the garten so we settled and ordered our first beer :-D

A couple hours and a lot of conversations later, we decided to get out and walk around the park.

So pretty!
There we had some long meter sized bratwurst and some sweet nuts (i cant remember the name). Bought some souveniers and around 8PM we were tired, we walked back to the hauptbahnhof and had to wait until 1AM... funny because most of the entire group (around 40 people) were all sitting lying down/sleeping/sobering up on the floor and people kept watching and some even joined... after taking some pictures of us all of course.

Time finally came to go back home, most horrible train ride back, no sleep and when we were able to sleep we had to wake up and switch trains and wait in the cold. This was a great experience, probably one that I would only like to experience one, I've had a great share of this Oktoberfest but I wouldn't want to do it again... at least not by train!

On our way!
Sleepy at the trainstation
Sleepy at the trainstation
Munich General Tips & Advice review
free and lots of fun
Free to enter inside the park, free to enter inside the gardens, free to enter inside the tents! I had been looking forward to this occasion before… read entire review
Munich