A trip to Versailles

Versailles Travel Blog

Versailles Palace

On my final day in Paris, I slept in a bit.  After I did get up, I decided it would be cool to check out the palace at Versailles, since it's only about 45 minutes from Paris.  My grant aunt, who traveled a lot in her day, told me all about it, plus, the treaty of Versailles was signed here!  I went to the train station and I managed to get a free ticket speaking solely in French using my Eurail pass.  I was kinda proud of myself!

The ride to Versailles was quick.  Once off the train station, I grabbed some lunch at the supermarket before heading out to the palace.  I found out once I got there that there were several areas of the palace and several tickets were required to see everything.  Again, having to be budget minded, I chose to go for the standard tour, and I had to wander around the palace by myself.  This was a bit of a bummer because I was not able to learn about the palace itself, other than what I already knew.  I hung near a tour group when I could to gather some information.  I did find out that the garden at Versailles is what the area in front of the Washington Monument was modeled after in D.C.  Still, the palace was well worth checking out, and I am very glad I went.

Church inside Versailles