A tour in Tours

Tours Travel Blog

Tours

After a night in the airport, we took off bright and early and landed without a hitch in Tours.  The strange thing was that there was no ATM in the tiny Tours airport, and I had to pay 5 euro to catch a bus into town.  All I had was British currency.  It was quite annoying, but some nice lady exchanged me 5 euro for 3 pounds...it was a good enough deal.  The bus took me to the train station, and the first thing I noticed was a booth advertising tours of the chateaux on the Loire Valley.  Since this is exactly what I came to see, I communicated with her in French.  I thought I was doing good until she asked if I spoke English.  Oh well, it was my first time in France speaking the language and I was a little nervous.

Tours
  By the time I got to Nice, I was speaking French with little problem.

Anyway, there were 2 tours covering 6 or 7 chateaux over 2 days.  The trips were not cheap, but they got you to the chateaux and gave tours of each one.  I signed up and headed out of the train station.  I didn't have a place to stay, so I consulted my guide book.  Luckily, the first place I stopped had a couple rooms available - it was a little 2 star hotel but I found it really nice.  She didn't have a room for me the next night, so after dropping off my things and getting a shower, I headed out into the town.

I ended up finding a youth hostel and booked a room for the next night.  It turns out there's not a whole lot to do in Tours, France, so I spent the day wandering the streets, trying to read signs.  There was some big event going on near the train station, with cars, and there were lots of food booths and stuff set up.

Flying into France!