EuropeItalyPisa

The leaning tower

Pisa Travel Blog

That leaning tower

I woke up early on America's Independence day to visit the leaning tower of Pisa.  Of course, in Italy this is just another day.  After a quick train ride and humming the Star Spangled Banner to myself numerous times, I was in Pisa.  I found out that the information booth did not open until quite a bit later, and I had no map of the city.  Fortunately, there were some friendly people who pointed me in the right direction.  It turns out that the leaning tower is about as far away from the train station as you can get, but this simply meant that I got to take a 30 minute walk through the city.

As I got close to the tower, I began to see it sticking out over the tops of the other buildings in the area.  Finally, I went around the corner and there it was!  There are actually three buildings in the area, each leaning in some way, shape, or form.

The leaning buildings of Pisa
  The tower is just the worst of the three, so it gets all the attention.  While tempted to take the photo of me "holding up the tower", I chose instead to let everyone else do that.  I also found out that you can actually pay 15 euros to go up into the tower.  In the end, I chose not to...perhaps because it was a little expensive, but also perhaps because I didn't want to fall off the tower or be the one to cause it to fall!

Either way, it's a very neat place to spend the morning, not to mention world famous!  One day is not even required for this site, but I would give it no less than a morning.  On my way back to the train station, I grabbed some lunch at the supermarket to eat on the train - I was on my way to Siena.

Crossing the Arno
Crossing the Arno
Theres the leaning tower!
There's the leaning tower!
This building is leaning too...Im…
This building is leaning too...I'…
Its leaning!