Windmill hunting - part 2

Kinderdijk Travel Blog

Kinderdijk

Now I was a little disappointed with Zaanse Schans, but I wasn't going to give up my windmill search until I found some good ones.  Going off the only other lead I had, I went to Kinderdijk, which was south of Amsterdam through Rotterdam.  The train ride was not long, and it turned out to be really worth it.  Not having a full understanding of where I needed to go, I jumped on the correct bus that would take me to the windmills.  As the bus made stop after stop, and more and more people got off, I began to wonder if I had missed the windmills.  How could I miss windmills, though?  Finally, the driver made a stop and the last two girls other than myself got off the bus.

Kinderdijk windmill - built in 1740!
  He sat there a minute with the door open, then said that this is where the windmills were.  I am not sure how he knew that's what I was looking for, but I am glad he did.  (What else would I be doing out there, right?)

I couldn't see the windmills from the bus stop, but following the girls who got off in front of me, I was led right to the windmills.  Wow, what a sight!  There had to be over 20 windmills there, with a majority fully functional and some even working!  It was an absolutely awesome sight.  I took a ton of photos, and you can even go up inside one of the windmills.  It was a bit time consuming, as it is very cramped in there and you're always waiting for people to get out of the way...but it was really cool to see where these people slept and worked, back in the day.

As I left the windmills, I quickly realized how hungry I was.  I checked the bus stop times, and I had quite a bit of time before the bus arrived, and then I had more time before I could catch the train back to Amsterdam.  I followed the bus stop signs along the road (so I would not miss the bus when it came), walking from stop to stop looking for a place to eat something.  Being in the middle of nowhere, I really didn't find anything.  I ended up not finding anything until I got back to Amsterdam.

Kinderdijk
Kinderdijk windmill - built in 174…
Kinderdijk windmill - built in 17…
Inside one of the windmills
Inside one of the windmills
The inner workings of a windmill!
The inner workings of a windmill!
Kinderdijk Sights & Attractions review
When I think of the Netherlands, I think of the Dutch. When I think of the Dutch, I think of windmills. When I think of windmills, I think of Kinder… read entire review
photo by: aggieaggie