Touchdown!

Dublin Travel Blog

St. Patrick's Church

The plane landed in Dublin International Airport ar around 6:30 AM GMT.  I stumbled out of the airport, a little lost, a little confused and very excited.  I went to the nearest bus driver and told him where I wanted to go, to see which bus I should get on.  He smiled and said with the coolest accent I have ever heard, "I'm going right by there!".  I gave him my first 5 euro bill and hopped on the bus.  Since I had forgotten to charge my camera, I missed a few neat shots but within half an hour we were driving through downtown Dublin, right along the River Liffey.  The driver looked back and told me that he would drop me right off at my hostel, which was great news for me!  I was already turned around and had no idea where we were.

Christ Church

I got off the bus and dropped my stuff off at the hostel.  The staff was nice and the hostel (my first one) looked really neat.  I grabbed my daypack and, since my guide book had a map in it, I headed out into the city to try to find my way around.  Dublin is a beautiful, old city and I was amazed by the buildings and the churches.  I walked through Christ Church and St. Patrick's Church in the morning, and then I grabbed a sandwich at a little shop near Temple Bar.  It was about this time where I really started to feel overwhelmed, lost, homesick, confused, scared, and crazy for being there.  So, if you have ever felt this way, don't think you're the only one!  I laid down in the park outside St. Patrick's for a couple hours just thinking about what I was going to do.

After that I went back to the hostel and went to my room.  I was the only one there when I entered the room.  After laying in bed for 15 minutes or so, come of the other guys came into the room.  They were from Australia, and I instantly warmed up to them.  It was so cool to be able to chat with those guys, and they lifted my spirits.  After that point, I was all set...I was really looking forward to all the places I would see and all the people I would meet!!!

St. Patricks Church
Outside the bank
Inside City Hall
Inside City Hall
Dublin Sights & Attractions review
Looking for a way to get around Ireland? Want to learn all about the history, the myth, and the culture today? Want to go places you wouldn't think … read entire review
photo by: fransglobal