Taming Mount Pilatus

Lucerne Travel Blog

Train to the top of the mountain

So in day 2 the group and I jumped on a train and headed over to the base of Mount Pilatus.  We watched our clocks and, sure enough, the train departed exactly on time.  We jumped off the train and had to buy tickets for a train that would take us up to the top of the mountain.  This particular train is one of the steepest in the world, we were told as we boarded.  Once again, right on time the train lurched forward, taking us toward the top.  There were neat sites on the way, as the mountainside went from grassy to rocky.  We actually saw some of the animals you woould expect to see on a mountain.

When we reached the top, it was cold.  Colder than I thought it was going to be.  I brought a light jacket but I was wearing shorts.

Mount Pilatus
  Oh well, it was bearable!  The top of the mountain actually has a restaurant and stuff on it, but it didn't take too much away from the fact that I was 7000 feet up.  I after spending time on the mountain and getting some photos, we took some ski lift things back down the other side of the mountain.  The view from those was equally amazing.  Once we got to the bottom though, we were in an area we had never been before!

There were supposedly signs that were to point us to the bus station, but we only saw a couple before we weren't sure where to go.  Luckily, it was a cute little town so we just wandered around, checked out shops and the like before we came across a bus stop.  We jumped on the bus and headed back into Lucerne.  We spent the rest of the day leisurely, walking around Lucerne.  We even stopped for a bit to watch an enormous-sized chess game.

Going up