Taking in Bath

Bath Travel Blog

Actual Roman baths

So I finally made it to bath.  It wasn't too late in the day but things in Europe seem to close early, so I went to check out the Roman Baths right away.  I thought that Roman Baths in England wouldn't be that fascenating, and that the ones in Rome would...but I had it backwards.  The baths here in the city named for them were spectacular to see.  An audio guide comes with the admission, so you can learn about what you're seeing.  One of the first things you see, from above, is one of the main baths.  Although green with algae now, back in the day it would have been covered from the sun, thus preventing any growth in the water.  This also would have been one of the warmer pools for healing.  The tour then takes you through a museum with many artifacts from the baths, including some of the original stone structure, mosaic, and statues.

Bath

The tour also takes you to some of the other baths, including the cold water ones to cool down after a sauna.  Yes, the Romans even had saunas back then.  They would build a floor a couple feet above the ground and pipe hot air in.  Naturally, heat rises and thus the room heats up quite well.  I make it sound like a quick tour - it's not and well worth the admission price.

After checking out the baths, I went inside the cathedral for a peek before walking around town, checking out the shops and such.  Turns out I was ok on time after all.  After I had had my fill, I took a train back to London to grab some dinner and hang out.

Bath Cathedral
Some of the original structure of …
Some of the original structure of…
A secret bath only VIPs knew about
A secret bath only VIP's knew about
Mosaic tile from the Roman era
Roman Baths
Steam room at the Roman Baths
Steam room at the Roman Baths
Bath Sights & Attractions review
For those that do not know, the city of Bath was so named because of the Roman baths that remain in the middle of the city. After the Romans conquere… read entire review
photo by: Hummingbird