EuropeFranceNice

Should I put the obvious? Nice is nice!

Nice Travel Blog

Overlooking Nice

So I met a Chinese girl on the train down to Nice.  She was staying for the day before heading elsewhere.  We ended up walking around the city together, checking out the sites.  After dropping off my things at the hotel, we took a walk through the city down to the beach.  While the area near the train station is a little more commercial, the walk through Nice was beautiful.  There are some very nice areas for shopping and dining, so I tried to make a note of the good restaurants.  Something told me the area was expensive, though!  When we made it down to the beach area, I was amazed.  It was absolutely gorgeous.  Off to the eastern side of the city is a hill where a fort once stood, so we hiked up there and had some amazing views.

The beautiful Mediterranean
  We stopped at a market and got some watermelon and just checked out the area.  We eventually parted ways.

Later I went down to the beach again with someone I had met to find that it was full of rocks, not sand!  That was quite a surprise, and it was a little hard to get comfortable.  We managed, and I even did some swimming.  It turns out that sitting out in the sun for a while without good sunscreen leads to sunburn.  Who knew?  The strange thing was that, although I was red, it really didn't hurt.  I credit that one to God.  I went back to the hostel and met up with the other roommates, and we hit it off immediately.  They even loaded me some aloe, which I put on the red areas.

After chatting for a bit, the group of us headed out into town, where we found a nice Italian restaurant to eat at.  The dish I ordered had too much oil, but it was fun to hang out and chat.  We even talked a little bit about Monaco, which some of them had already been to.  It was my destination for tomorrow, and another new country!

Swimming in the Mediterranean