Onto England!

York Travel Blog

York Minster

Early in the morning, I validated my BritRail pass and caught the first train down to York, England.  The train ride was beautiful and we passed through some of the other towns on the way (Durham and Newcastle, I want to say).  Finally, we reached York.  Edinburgh has been around for a long time, but York has even more history!  The first thing I did was head into one of the few (or perhaps only) hostel in town, and I was able to get a bed for the night.  After dropping off my stuff, I began my walk around town.  York is an entirely walled in city.  Truth be told, the city has expanded a bit beyond the walls, but 2000 years ago the fortification protected the city from invaders (Scots, perhaps?).

Walls of York
  York city has been settled and re-settled over the years.  First my the native peoples of the land.  Then by the Romans some 2000 years ago, followed by the Saxons/Vikings in the 5th century.  The Normans moved in around the 10th century.  Many things happened here in the Middle Ages, and the city has continued to grow and evolve since then.

Early in the day, I found a walking tour and snuck my way in.  After a few minutes, I was up in the front chatting with the tour guide...I guess he didn't mind that I snuck in.  I think it was a free tour anyway.  The only place I got yelled at for doing this was at Versailles...but I digress...  The tour took us around the city, up on the walls and to some of the old Roman buildings.

York
  We saw how many of the churches had been built and rebuilt over the ages, and you can see the foundations of each from the crypt.  The tour ended near York Minster (there are churches, cathedrals, abbeys, minsters, basilicas, etc...I have no idea what the differences are), so I went in and checked it out.  A nice lady showed me around and told me about the building, and even pointed out some neat things that most people would miss.

I grabbed some lunch and checked out the old fort and some of the older buildings in the city.  I walked around in the museum and checked out some of the old Roman items found over the years.  I spent more time checking out the ruined buildings and even caught an escape artist's act in the town square.  York's a beautiful city to walk around in, even in the more modern parts of the city.  I purchased some food at the supermarket and cooked it up before heading back out again.  I had heard about a ghost hunt that I really wanted to check out.  See my review on that, it was a great time!

Different layers of civilization
The city from the wall
The city from the wall
York is a completely walled in city
York is a completely walled in city
Going on a ghost hunt in the world…
Going on a ghost hunt in the worl…
York Sights & Attractions review
At dusk, out of one of the oldest buildings in town emerges a shadowy figure, dressed completely in black. In clothes of old, you begin to wonder if … read entire review
photo by: HelenP