Off to Stonehenge!

Salisbury Travel Blog

Stonehenge

I woke up early and walked all the way to the train station before I realized that I had forgotten my rail pass in the hostel!  I was so mad...I ran all the way back and grabbed it, but missed the train I had wanted to take.  Fortunately, the trains left every hour, so I did not have to wait too terribly long.  I'm such an idiot sometimes...

So finally I was on my way to Salisbury.  This is the closest town to Stonehenge, the ancient structure whose origins are still largely unknown.  There are many theories, the most common speculation it was put there by the same people that make the Clava Cairns in Scotland.

Stonehenge
  These people were known as "druids" for many years.

I arrived in Salisbury and quickly realized there was no one around that could help me with where to go.  Somehow I managed to find a bus that stopped at Stonehenge, and so I was once again in good spirits.  The structure is amazing from even far away.  As we got close, I was blown away by it.  Stonehenge rests in a large open field of beautiful green.  It's definitely worth the couple pounds it costs to go inside the fence and see Stonehenge up close.  You also get an audioguide, which gives many interesting facts about the area.

It appears that the stones were actually dragged there some 5000 years ago.  You can still see indentations in the ground where the stones were brought in...and these ruts in the earth extend as far as the eye can see.

Stonehenge
  How they were hoisted up and placed so neatly on the other stones is beyond me.  How they stood up the stones is also beyond me.  Why they did this is beyond me, but it becomes clear that it was some sort of calendar.  The way the stones were set up and the way the sun shone on them could tell you what time of year it was, and possibly even what time of day.  This is indeed the same reason the Clava Cairns were built.  Truly a mystery!

I wish I had spent more time there, but I wanted to get out to Bath before it got too late.  I jumped on the bus and we headed back toward Salisbury, but hit some traffic.  I think there was an accident of some sort.  Being on a tight timeline, I asked the driver how far we were from the train station.  It was a couple miles, so I jumped off the bus and ran.  That goes to show you how impatient I am.  I ran the entire way, and at this point I am glad I stay in shape.  I got a little turned around once in town, but made it to the train station just in time!

Just in time to see the train leaving the train station.......so I had to wait a couple hours for the next train...*sigh*

Salisbury