Exploring London some more

London Travel Blog

Westminster Abbey

After making it back from Canterbury, I set out to see some more of the things in London that I had yet to see.  I started with Westminster Abbey.  Since I don't have any pictures on the inside, I can only assume that I could not take any.  Even so, the Abbey was well worth the visit.  The place is so old!  There's also so many things inside that it can be a bit difficult to get around.  It's important to follow the flow of traffic once inside!

This amazing building has so many great people buried within it's walls.  Several kings of Britain are buried here, as well as queens and other historic figures.  I wish I had a list right now of them all, but there are too many to list anyway.

Buckingham Palace
  There was even a throne used for inaguration and by many of the kings over the years.  This Abbey was also the resting place of the Stone of Scone for many years.

This ancient stone, also called the Pillow of Jacob (believed to be the stone Jacob rested his head on in Genesis 28:11), is used for all coronations of British and Scottish royalty.  In 1950, the stone was stolen from the Abbey and taken to Scotland.  During the process, it was broken in two and remains that way today.  The stone was found and brought back to the Abbey, but only for a short time.  Today the stone sits in Scotland, but is brought back to England during coronations.

My next stop on this day was to Buckingham Palace.

Big Ben at night
  It seems there are always ritzy people going in and out, dressed to the nines...but anyway, for whatever reason, no one could go inside the palace at that time.  So, I checked it out from the outside and headed back to the hostel - I was meeting a friend that evening.

My friend, Phil, is a German who came to the US to attend univsersity.  It just so happened we went to the same place and even roomed together for a semester.  He encouraged me to go to Europe and that's probably why I went in the first place.  I told him I was going to, and who am I to back out on my word?  It turns out he was working northwest of London, so he stopped in for a few days.  We met up, exchanged greetings, and headed out into the city.  We mainly just walked around and caught up, but also spent time checking out the city at night.  Everything looks different at night, so be sure never to miss that face of the city!

The Mall