Day 3 in Vienna

Vienna Travel Blog

Tomb of Franz Joseph I

On my last day in Vienna, Alex mentioned that you can indeed go inside Schloss Hofburg, and take a self-guided tour of the rooms.  So, we headed there, found the entrance, paid, and went in.  The self guided tour starts you through the kitchens, and with the audioguide you learn about the different set of china they had and the silver bowls, centerpieces, etc...and how much they cost!  The tour then takes you through the palace, where unfortunately you can't take pictures.  There is also an in-depth history lesson of the Hapsburg dynasty, focusing on Franz Joseph I and his wife Elisabeth.  The history lesson alone made it worth the trip, as, in my opinion, learning about the people and the culture of the place you are visiting really opens that place up to you, the visitor.

Schloss Belvedere

Upon leaving the palace, we somehow discovered that the royal crypt was nearby.  Feeling morbid, we headed down into the crypt and saw the tombs of the people we had just learned about.  It was actually really neat, the crypt is actually quite large.

After that, we said our goodbyes and each went our own way.  I wanted to check out Schloss Belvedere, which is the final large palace in the city of Vienna.  After walking there, I realized that, although it looks spectacular from the outside, the inside has been converted to a museum of art.  Even so, it was worth it to see the outside gardens and the palace.  I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening walking around Vienna, stopping to get some Wienerschnitzel before I turned in for the evening.  I was off to Salzburg in the morning, and although it was a quick ride I wanted to get there early.

Near Schloss Hofburg