Checking out Venice

Venice Travel Blog

Venice at dawn

The train from Rome pulled into Venice right on time, very early in the morning.  I was staying at Camp d'Oro, which was about 30 minutes from Venice by bus.  I couldn't find any cheap accomodation in the city, so I decided to give this a try.  I had a sketchy map in my guide book, so I made my way to where the buses were.  Nothing was open yet, so I wanted to drop off my backpack before checking out the city.  I knew that the campground had a bus, and that it went to and from the bus parking area.  (As a side note for those that do not know, there are no cars, buses, etc. allowed in Venice.

A gondola ride in Venice
  Everything has to stop at this bus area on the outskirts of the city, near the train station).  After waiting some 45 minutes for the Camp d'Oro bus, I decided to take a public bus to the campground.  After waiting on the parked bus for what seemed like an eternity, I was finally on my way toward Camp d'Oro.

This part gets a little hazy, but I remember getting off the bus at some point - maybe I thought it was the right stop, but it wasn't.  I am not sure.  Anyway, I started walking in the direction of the camp and finally the stupid Camp d'Oro bus came rolling by.  When the driver saw me, she said something in Italian...I didn't understand, but then she pointed to the bus.  I nodded and jumped on.  She drove us to the camp where I checked in.

The Grand Canal of Venice
  The camp was actually nice, with a little store and restaurant and a pool, among other things.  The showers weren't bad either.  I dropped off my things and luckily caught the Oro bus back to Venice.  I rode for free on the way there, but it cost like 3 euro to get back.......

Anyway, back in Venice I quickly got hopelessly lost in the city.  The place is a huge maze, and at first I couldn't even find signs to help.  I have a good sense of direction though, so I kept heading toward St. Mark's Basilica.  After many dead ends (seriously, it is a big maze), I reached the Grand Canal.  As the name implies, this is the largest canal in Venice.  There are only two bridges over the canal though, so just getting to the canal is only half the battle - you have to make it to one of the bridges.

St. Mark's Basilica
  So, I wound my way to ojne of the bridges and crossed over.  The city is absolutely beautiful, by the way.  There were plenty of photo opportunities everywhere.

After crossing the bridge, it wasn't too difficult to find St. Mark's Basilica.  An incredible building from the outside, it was just as amazing from within.  The thing I wanted to see most was the place where St. Mark himself was laid to rest.  His final resting place is built in to the altar.  Upon leaving St. Mark's Basilica, I spent some time in the square watching the pigeons take over.  They are quite literally everywhere because people keep feeding them.  As I was watching, I heard an english tour pass by, so I followed them a bit.  They all had fancy hats and nametags or something, so it was obvious I didn't belong.

Venice
  I did the best I could to listen.  I saw the Bridge of Sighs, named so because the view from the bridge was the last thing many prisoners saw for many years - it was the only way into and out of the prison.  Right around the bridge I saw a booth advertising a tour of three Venetian islands, and since I really had nothing planned for tomorrow I bought a ticket.

It was already getting dark, so I headed toward the Grand Canal once again and found a place to eat.  I had a nice seat right on the canal, and the food was reasonably priced.  I made my way back to the bus area and found the Camp d'Oro bus, which took me back for the night.

St. Marks Basilica