Berlin Day 3

Berlin Travel Blog

Schloss Charlottenburg

On my third and final day in Berlin, I visited two big sites.  The first was Schloss Charlottenburg.  This palace was built in the early 1700's by King Friedrich I, as a summer home.  He changed the name to Charlottenburg in 1705 after the passing of his wife.  Since then, the palace has seen many rulers and many changes over the years.  Few would argue, though, that the palace is an absolute gem from both the inside and the outside.  Photos inside are not allowed and rooms carefully monitored, so you'll have to check it out for yourself!  Today the palace is a museum and an attraction, but it has been left in the condition it was when it stopped being used.

After visiting the palace, I made my way to a completely different part of the city.  After passing a BMW facility and being bummed by the fact that it was closed, I came to the Olympic Stadium of Berlin.  It was built in 1936 by Hitler himself, and was used to promote the Nazi regime.  The Olympics were held here that same year, only a few years before the war began.  There either wasn't a tour in English or I could not wait for the tour (I forget which), but I was able to explore the place on my own, and that was all I needed.

As it for later in the day, I headed back to Alexanderplatz where I spent the last bit of my time in Berlin.  I had a night train to Munich to catch that night.

Tombs at Schloss Charlottenburg