Back in Florence

Florence Travel Blog

Basilica de Santa Croce

I broke up my days in Florence because all the museums are closed on Mondays!  Please take that into consideration when you're traveling  :)

I woke up bright and early this morning to get in line for the Galleria Accademia, where Michelangelo's David and many other works sit.  One of the folks in the hostel wanted to go with me, so we headed out.  We arrived about 45 minutes before it opened, and there was already a small line at the door.  By the time it did open, the line was quite long.  We paid to get in and almost immediately you are awe-struck by David.  Even from a distance he stands tall, and as you get close you begin to see how amazing the work actually is.

Inside the Basilica de Santa Croce
  It stands much taller than one would imagine, and what it represents is very powerful too.  Equally impressive is that it's survived so long and is still in incredible condition.

It's the first thing you see in the Galleria, and it is by far the most amazing.  Everything else somewhat pales in comparison!  It is WELL worth it to see though.  Please note that the David standing outside the Piazza della Signoria is a replica!!!

After visiting the museum, I took a walk to the Basilica of Santa Croce, to see the tombs of many famous Italians throughout history.  Some of these people include:  Galileo, Michelangelo, Dante (creater of the Italian language), Machiavelli, Fermi, and others.

After visiting the Basilica, I spent the remainder of the day at leisure walking around Florence, checking out the shops and the town.

Dantes tomb