Andriyivsky Uzviz/Elton John concert

Kiev Travel Blog

Andrews descent

This Saturday had been declared an official working day to compensate for an extra holiday in another two weeks. Since I wouldn't be around anymore for the extra holiday, I didn't feel obliged to make it a full working day for me and left the office around 15:00h and walked over to Andriyivsky Uzviz.

Until now I hadn't seen many tourists; I guess that's because apparently they were all hiding at Andrews descent.  I was coming from the "wrong" side and made it Andrews ascent.
Tons of tourist stalls selling matruska's and the usual souvenirs led up to St Andrew's Church, a baroque church from the 18th century.  After checking out the church and the nearby statue of the "two hares" , depicting the main characters of a famous Ukrainian play, I didnt have time left to visit  St.

St. Andrews church
Michael's Cathedral. I went back down the descent and had a chicken Kiev at a restaurant which I'm pretty sure must have been called "The garden of Eden", judging the funny background.

Back by metro at the maydan Nezalezhnosti, where my hotel was, a large part of the square had been shut down around the podium they'd been building for the last couple of days. Elton John would give a free concert that evening to raise Aids awareness .  Since my hotel was right at the main square I thought maybe I could enjoy the concert from my hotel room.  So I settled myself in the window-sill and watched the crowd gathering for the concert.  It took only 3 seconds into the concert to realize I had to go down into the crowd after all; the sound was lousy from where I was.

Working my way through the mass I finally got a spot where I could actually see Elton John in real life, in stead of on a screen, but a fence guarded by policemen stopped my progress.  The concert might have been free, but for the area right in front of the podium you still needed tickets. Then I noticed the police where letting people in who didn't have tickets.  When I got close enough I could see what it took to get in; just a small "gift" to the policeman.  I gave him 10 hryvnia (1.50 Euro) and enjoyed the rest of the concert in a not so crowded place right in front of the podium:-)

eefab says:
You were there? I didn't see you:-)
I hope it made a difference, but it's hard for me to judge how everyone felt about it.
Posted on: Aug 31, 2007
Cappuccino says:
It was a great concert! I think it made a difference!
Posted on: Aug 31, 2007
Interior St. Andrews church
Interior St. Andrews church
Two hares
Two hares
Garden of Eden
Garden of Eden
The policeman on the right took my…
The policeman on the right took m…
Crowd gathering
Crowd gathering
picture from screen #1
picture from screen #1
Tiny Elton John
Tiny Elton John
picture from screen #2
picture from screen #2
This spot is much better.
This spot is much better.
Kiev