We are alive and in Kilkenny!

Kilkenny Travel Blog

The Hill of Slaine

Wow, so Dublin was... hectic but we are now in Kilkenny, a beautiful town just south west of Dublin. It has been raining for most of the trip but the clouds finally broke today and it is gorgeous outside! Yesterday we drove from Dublin to Kilkenny, making stops at Glendolaugh. The original plan was to drive over the Sally Gap, but the weather was so bad and the visibility so poor that the gap was closed, which meant we didn't get to see the Guinness Mansion and lake and had to take a detour. Needless to say, we got lost and ended up in Blessington, which is right back near Dublin! Oh well, we got to see more of the Irish country-side, right? :) And we did get to see some monastic ruins and an incredible round tower plus Powerscourt gardens which were beautiful, even though it was pouring rain. After getting ourselves back on track we arrived in Kilkenny at around 9:30pm. I think we all fell asleep within seconds after our heads hit the pillow. This morning we woke up and dad had a traditional Irish breakfast with black pudding and everything. For those of you who don't know, black pudding is pig's blood. Yeah, I'm not that brave...

Anyway, I'm off to explore the town of Kilkenny. They have an amazing castle and St. Canice's Cathedral is HUGE! I have some great pictures but the computer I'm on doesn't have a usb port, so I'll have to post them later. We are off to the Rock of Cashel today and then Waterford this evening. Love and miss you all! Slainte!

FranTheMan says:
Oh my god, you're in Kilkenny! South Park reference. Yeah, sorry, that was bad.

Sounds like you're having fun, though, despite the rain. You probably should sample the black pudding at some point. Lick the spoon, at least. Get the full Irish experience.

That's Waterford of crystal fame, right? Better tread carefully and don't break anything. Looking forward to pictures.

Posted on: Jun 23, 2007