AsiaJapanTokyo

still raining

Tokyo Travel Blog

It has been raining for a couple of days now. It has really cooled the place down, and I can safely step outside the house with jeans on without feeling like I'm going to melt into a puddle.

Last night after a workout at the gym, Andy and I went to our favourite Italian restaurant, Saizeriya. It's a 'family restaurant' that serves delicious pastas, pizzas and salads, and it is the cheapest eating establishment we've been to that actually serves yummy food. We leave the restaurant completely satisfied for well under 20 bucks every time.

Anyway, last night when we left Saizeriya it was pouring with rain. It wasn't raining when we left home, so we didn't have an umbrella. We stood around for about half an hour and all the restaurants and cafes were closing. The only place open was Maccas but their aircon was on so high we couldn't stand waiting inside there. So we stood under cover with lots of other people who were also waiting for the rain to die down. It showed no signs of letting up. Andy spotted a discarded umbrella so grabbed it and then went in search of another. He came back 5 mins later with another sorry-looking cheap plastic white umbrella under his arm. So we thought we'd make a dash for it despite the heavy rain, now that we had umbrellas. So last night I did what I have always wanted to do but have been too chicken to try - for the whole time I've lived in Japan. I cycled home with an open umbrella in my hand. I have always thought 'wow, how do they do that', so I am proud to say I can do it now too. It's a very tragic thing to be proud of, especially seeing as Andy did it immediately, and I have waited 3 years. Actually I have even seen some people on their mobile phones, cycling with an umbrella in their hand - quite a feat. I won't be trying that soon. In Japan, as you probably know, there are no nice bikeways for cyclists, no helmets or anything like that - people share the road with buses and cars etc.

On to other news. I have finally interviewed a couple of MPs. My first visit to the offices of the Lower House members was quite revealing. I had imagined palatial offices with large leather reclining chairs, but the offices are all lined up next to each other like battery hens, and they are tiny. They are divided into the office space for the MP and the front little room for their secretaries, of which there are usually 2 or 3. The secretaries have very small tables that you could barely call desks crammed with papers and books. The women I interviewed were very helpful and kind. I hope to find some more soon and to also develop my interviewing technique now that I have a couple under my belt!

I'm off to the uni library this arvo. Andy has an interview with another English school called Gabba. He's 'keeping his options open', and can afford to because he is working part-time. He's spending a lot of time on lesson preparation and has created an impressive collection of teaching materials including flash cards and various different games.

Tokyo