AsiaJapanTokyo

borderline chubby

Tokyo Travel Blog

I am still reeling from being assessed as 'borderline chubby' in a health examination we underwent at the gym a couple of days ago.....hahaha. Andy and I decided to take this fitness/health test offered at the gym for 500 yen each. We first had our height and weight, and then our 'fat-percentage' measured. They have these machines that send small electric pulses through you and measure your fat percentage! You can even buy personal ones at chemists so you can keep an eye on your body-fat percentage. The Japanese seem to believe that it is a better measure of fat than the BMI.

Anyway, 'normal' for a woman my age is between 17 and 24 and I measured 24.6% which put me in the lower part of 'a bit chubby'......... Andy was 'normal' for his age at 21%.

Our stamina, flexibility and reaction times, among other things, were tested and we came up average (apart from Andy's shockingly poor agility and my comparatively brilliant ability to react quickly). Compared to the  'national average' we did ok, and this is good cos I think the Japanese on the whole seem pretty fit and healthy.

Now I can't make any more fat jokes to Andy cos the shoe is well and truly on the other foot .....

Tokyo