Tokyo Travel Blog

Andy and I went to Kamakura for one night a few days ago with Jack, Andy's employer. We went to the holiday unit of a friend of Jack's who we met at the 'end-of-year party' Jack organised. It was a bit of a weird night away - a bit blokey with a fair bit of beer involved and a tiny long-haired dachshund called Kelly who made me sneeze.

Jack's friend, who Jack calls 'the bone doctor', Mr Tanabe, is an orthopaedic specialist with a clinic near our house. He learns English at Jack's English school, where Andy teaches, but not from Andy. Anyway, he invited us to his holiday unit and despite not knowing him very well we went along. Kamakura was the capital of Japan in the early 1000s, so it is a very 'historical' city. It's a popular detination because of this and also because it's on the coast.

Big Buddha at Kamakura
It's particularly popular in Summer when people flock to it for a dip in the ocean. It's only about an hour away from Tokyo, so easy to get to. The beach was pretty hideous, but I am well-travelled enough to know that as an Australian, I am spoilt when it comes to beautiful beaches.  I have never seen anywhere as beautiful as the southern qld/northern nsw coast. And I'm sorry to say that I would have to be pretty desperate to get in the water at Kamakura, or even lay a towel on the (grey) sand...hahaha...yes, I'm such a beach snob.

The 'second largest' buddha in Japan is in Kamakura and I got a photo of chubby and his friend Eric in front of it. I also got a lovely photo of My Fuji which was clearly visible from the beach. Apparently it is rare to see it as clearly as we did, and it was the 4th of Jan when we saw it so this apparently means 2008 will be a lucky year for us...yay.

Tokyo Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
This is Andy's and my favourite place to hang out in Ikebukuro when we feel like a rest and a bit of a treat. The Kensington Tearoom is an oasis i… read entire review
photo by: maka77