AsiaJapanTokyo

Elusive Mt Fuji

Tokyo Travel Blog

Mt Fuji

Going to the gym today for the first time in a while - waiting for Andy to come home from teaching so we can go together.

Our trip to Hakone was pretty fun. The weather was nice - a fair bit colder than here in Tokyo but it was clear the first day and not too bad the rest.

We went to plenty of hot springs (onsen). Our guest house on the first night had a lovely outdoor onsen that we had all to ourselves. We went out to dinner to one of the only restaurants in the area - an Italian joint with tragic plastic table covers and a gimmicky santa claus at the entrance that started singing whenever someone came in. The food was actually delicious.

Basil sauteed salmon
I had a green salad and penne gorgonzola (it's so hard to find decent cheese here, I jumped at the chance to eat something cheesy) and Andy had salmon with basil sauce. The salmon was so beautifully presented I took a photo of it.

The following day we made our way to 'Yunessan' where we were staying that night. It is an enormous complex with lots and lots of different onsen. It's main attraction is the variety and quantity of hot springs. It has an area where you wear togs - it's like a big water park but the water is natural hot springs! It's really popular with young families. There were a couple of waterslides, a wine bath, a green tea bath, a beer bath, and ordinary hot springs as well. It was great fun and we stayed in til we got pruney.

We also had our feet 'cleaned' by tiny little fish that live in hotter water than most fish. It was quite a weird experience and at first it was incredibly ticklish and I felt the urge to pull my feet out of the water, but I kept them in and they cleaned away.

We went down to Lake Ashi and caught the boat across it to where we hopped on the 'ropeway' that took us up the mountains. The view was quite spectacular and we could see enormous Mt Fuji's very dim outline partly hidden by cloud.

View from our guesthouse