AsiaJapanTokyo

Autumn blues

Tokyo Travel Blog

here comes the bullet train

Emma:  Well, Andy and I are both getting over a strange fluey virus we caught in the recent cool weather.

Andy was in a soccer tournament the weekend before last in Nagano. It was held in the mountains and it was freezing cold. The clouds were very low and it rained. I think Andy plans to write about the tournament itself, but his team- the British Embassy team - made it to the quarter finals where they lost. I spent most of the time in our room reading and slothing out. It was a nice change of scenery and actually a great weekend of doing not much at all.

I have managed to secure another interview for this coming week after a bit of a drought. So that's something to look forward to and to prepare for.

Andy and bullet train.....
In the meantime I am keeping very busy with a conference in November to prepare for.

We went to lunch with Andy's employer Jack again today. His daughter Glory, who is also a student of Andy's, came too. They then took us to a nearby temple that houses the second largest buddha in Japan. We wandered around a bit, fed the carp and then I killed a mosquito on Andy's head.

ANDY:  A while indeed since my last blog entry during which time we went to Nagano for a soccer tournament. We took the bullet train (my first trip on one) from Tokyo to Ueda and eventually found the place after a further bus trip and a hotel shuttle. Nagano is a ski resort basically and has some farming in the area.

View from Ueda Castle
The team is not the best unfortunately and we made it to the qtr finals by virtue of poor opposition rather than great play. I had just caught a virus and by the time we had come home it had taken a firm hold and a few days later Emma caught it too. In Japan when you get a cold you're supposed to wear a face mask - like the surgical ones that doctors would wear in the operating theatre. It is quite bizarre (for western eyes) to see people on the train or doing their shopping with medical masks on.

So anyhow, since Nagano one of the English schools I work for has asked me to work Tuesdays and Wednesdays from midday till 9pm. This week as a result I have been flat out working at both schools and have found it quite stressful. Emma reminded me that teaching is like a performance and that being nervous is quite natural. I hope I get used to it soon.

My other employer took us out for lunch again today and then afterwards we went to a local temple. I dont think Emma really enjoyed it unfortunately and after we had fed the fish in the pond and wandered around a bit she slapped me on the melon as if to say "Come on...  Let's get out of here!"  I swung around in shock - apparently there was a mozzie on my head (a likely story).

Tokyo