Day 3- attempt 2!

Kralendijk Travel Blog

Made it to the Slagbaai today! YAY!! It was beautiful!! One of the most incredible and diverse places I've ever been! It's crazy to me that the island is a total desert yet surrounded by huge ocean which comes crashing in!!

Washington Slagbaai has two paths to take, the longer (which they say takes like 2 hours) or the shorter (which they say takes like 1.5 hours) - LIARS!! Basically if you don't stop and look at anything or do anything maybe it would take such a short time! My best advice, make the park a whole day trip, stop at whatever you want and snorkle or scuba! Take the time to look for the iguanas, flamingos, dolphins (if you're lucky) and anything else that's there. The biggest regret we have about this day is not snorkling here! My mom was nervous about her cut and the current and waves, so we snorkled at our hotel instead.

The difference between the east and west side of the island also amazes me.  It can be completly calm on the western side and yet huge scary waves on the east side! The splashes the waves make is totally one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I know I'm probably just being a big cheeseball, but it's awesome! This is definitly one of the places you have to see to believe so I'll let the pictures do the talking!

So, after the national park we went back to the hotel and snorkled in our little beach...Ok, very VERY clear why this is a diver's paradise! Within 5 feet of shore, just under the surface were some of the coolest fish ever! And again, there was PINK ones! (Ok, if you all haven't figured out by now, pink is very much my thing!) We could have spent hours just floating and watching right there at our hotel! We'll definitly have to come back and try some other places around the island and Klein Bonaire! (Oh shucks...we have to come back!)

photo by: HennaK