Day 1 in beautiful Bonaire!

Kralendijk Travel Blog

Got in late last night, our hotel, the Harbour Village is very sweet and charming. Beautiful as well!

We rented scooters today to cruise around the island! It's a perfect way to see the island and since it's so small you pretty much can go around the whole thing in a day! We started off going north out of Kralendijk towards our hotel and then past. It took my mom some getting used to the scooters, I know she didn't really like them, but it's ok, she still tried! So, went north to Oil Slick (snorkle and dive site) you can see for miles from there!

We cruised back to the hotel and had lunch, took a quick rest. We were so tired from traveling and waking up and jumping right in!

After lunch cruised to the south of the island.

Saw some amazing waves breaking and crashing onto the island. It's incredible! Kept going south to the windsurfing beach and around the south of the island to the Willemstoren Lighthouse and headed north to the salt works. Before the salt works were the slave huts. The water there is the most incredible blue ever! The huts are tiny, uncomfortable and there are attack lizards there! (Ok, they're not really attack lizards, but the one came at me! ;)  )  Kept going north now...The salt works are definitly something to see! It looks like mountains of salt (and there's pink "water"). The whole thing is sitting there right next to these beautiful beaches! We kept cruising through town and back to our hotel.

The scooters were definitly the right choice for seeing the island. Being out in the sun, cruising around= perfection! I would have kept them the whole week to have a mode of transportation but my mom was too scared! Oh well!!

photo by: HennaK