Wodonga

Wodonga Travel Blog

a railway station

On the last weekend of April, Stefanie and I drove to Wodonga to visit Jeannie, an exchange teacher from Uckfield, East Sussex, U.K. Leaving early Saturday morning Jeannie gave us a wonderful day long tour of Wodonga, and then over to the Hume Weir Dam where we saw for ourselves the seriousness of Australian’s drought conditions. It is difficult to believe that this barren lake at once held the equivalent amount of water as in the Sydney Harbour. Ten years ago this area was a thriving summer camping and resort area. Then we drove across the border to walk along the main street of Albury in N.S.W. Albury is noted for having the longest train platform and apparently a popular wedding photo place.

In the afternoon Jeannie drove us to Rutherglen to visit some wineries.

beechworth post office
Here I learned about CleanSkins and in fact purchased ½ dozen for a great price…less than 8.00$ per bottle.  A colleague of Jeannie’s from her school owns a winery and olive gardens in this area and so we were off to visit this place, called the Naked Virgin. Their wines were wonderful tasting and many had gold labels for awards. We also sampled and learned about the making of olive oil…..a bottle which I will keep for home. Just love that name “Naked Virgin”.

Sunday morning we toured the historic town of Beechworth…the place where the notorious Ned Kelly was first imprisoned. Following a delicious brunch we made our final stop to the famous Beechworth Bakery buying bread, rolls and meat pies for the freezer. Wodonga is a four hour drive north east of Melbourne going towards Sydney. It is located at the foothills of the Great Divide…..such a picturesque place.

beechworth goal