our own Golden Circle

Hveragerdi Travel Blog

Today we checked out the "big attractions". As I stood next to Strokkur, the small brother of Geysir, suddenly a german tourist group surrounded us.  Always a pleasure to understand tourist guides when they're explaining things and listen to them. :-) After a few pictures our VW Polo drove us to Gullfoss (which means golden falls). Pretty cool and wet.

I liked to continue the road 35 to the high lands, but it's one of the normal numbered roads which are not allowed to drive by rented cars. So we returned to Frumskogar and changed our cloths. Hiking Shoes, gloves and headlamp. We were on the way to Raufarholshellir which is a long cave. In the cave we've been followed by a duch family with crocs. Well, everyone chooses his own equipment... it was definitely the right choice to be well prepared because it's not just an easy walk and it was getting pretty dark in it. After 1/4 of the 1.3km long cave we returned. But definitely a must see.

For tomorrow we want to go to the Laki. Must be a spectacular volcanic landscape. We have to get up at 6.00 to get the bus in Kirkjubaejarklaustur to get to the Laki. Polo can't go with us causing the highland-roads. But he will bring us to Skogar for tomorrows stay.

I'm also totally excited for the glacier hike on the 24th. But first, I got to get some sleep for our early bird-breakfast.

Old saw: The early bird catches the bus...

photo by: TamaraSimons