Let me take you down, 'cos I'm going to Strawberry Fields

New York Travel Blog

So much to do and so little time to do it!  Today decided to see as much as I could on foot.  Walked south from my hotel down Broadway to the remarkable Flatiron building which is an early 20th century skyscraper perched on a narrow junction of Broadway and Fifth Avenue.  Walked up Madison Avenue and then east towards the Hudson river.

Here since 1952, has been the location of the United Nations.  After waiting in yet another security line and I paid for the audio tour of the building.  A guide took you round but as she pointed out she “was not a qualified UN tour guide” so we were not even alowed to ask her any questions. Anyway you cango in the General Assembly building and learn about all the work that the UN does around the world such as removing landmines and peacekeeping in trouble spots.

With my feet still not whining too much I walked north past the Rockefeller Center to Central park. Was really nice to sit in the sun and watch the world go by with the city in the background. Central park itself is huge and although I must have spent 3 hours wandering about I guess I only saw 10% of it.

I ended up at Strawberry Fields where Yoko Ono placed a tribute to John Lennon. There was a busker playing and singing Beatles songs and there were lots of people say on benches all around and it was a really good experience with evertone enjoying the music. There were people there from all over the world including a this old guy from Japan who decided to share his singing talents with us by yodeling “Yesterday” which was very funny but everyone was polite and just smiled and gave him a round of applause.

Decided to take the subway back or I fear I will end up lame at the end of this trip.

Went to the cinema to watch Inception in the evening. I had heard how everyone laughs and cheers and applauses in American movie theatres and it is absolutely true – maybe it is a British thing but what must Americans think when they come to the UK and everyone stays silent in the cinema? Anyway it was a good atmosphere inside and I enjoyed the rather complicated film. Glad I smuggled in some sweets and a drink though as $4.50 for a Coke is just a rip off.

New York