Grimsby and Lincoln

Niagara Falls Travel Blog

Maid of the Mist

So up at 6:30 to check out of the hostel, lug my bag to Union Station and pick up a hire car to get to Niagara Falls. I know a hire car sounds extravagant but I had no alternative, my train was leaving Toronto at 3:30pm and the train back to Toronto from Niagara Falls did not get back till 5pm. Niagara Falls is one of those must do's and I would not have forgiven myself if I had the opportunity to go and not taken it.  Annoyed with my planning as I should have done this on Saturday but I was too keen to go to the CN Tower.

Despite not having the green bit of my driving licence with me, I managed to snag a good deal with Thrifty for the loan of a Corolla for a day.

Lots of water
I never ceased to be amazed at the sort of crap you get for a hire care in North America. I know it is not always good in Europe but this Toyota had no acceleration for a 2.4 litre car and the boot lid sounded like it was made of tin foil when you shut it.

Niagara Falls is only 120 km from Toronto down the Queen Elizabeth Way ��" a 5 lane highway that connects Toronto and Buffalo in New York State. Driving along it reminded me of the historical links Britain has with Canada by seeing signs for Cambridge and Hamilton and driving through the towns of Grimsby and Lincoln.

It took 2 hours to get to Niagara so immediately found the Maid of the Mist boat trip. This legendary service has been going since 1854 was recommended to me by so many people, it is a 30 minute trip around the American Falls and the Canadian Horseshoe falls where you get really close to the waterfalls and get soaked by all the spray coming down.

Blackpool Falls?
Bit disappointed that the batteries went on my camera on the boat so I did not take that many pictures. Later the thief who owned the gift shop tried to ask me for $23+tax for 4 AA replacements which I politely declined. Did not stay long in Niagara Falls town, it is a bit like Blackpool without the smell of stale beer. Louis Tussauds Waxworks is here as well!

Got back to Toronto in time for the train. Sat across from a French Canadian couple and their 3 screaming children. We even had a train safety briefing in English before we left and the female asked for it to be translated into French so she could understand. The Wi-Fi on the train is fantastic (and free too) so thumbs up to Via Rail Canada, for this. Chatted to some friends from home on Facebook, looked at the photos I have taken so far and wrote up this blog. Looking at miles of nice green farmland everywhere whilst earwigging our French-only speaker chatting fluently in English to an Italian girl. I have been warned that Quebec is more French than France but we will find out first hand later in the week.

Arrive at Ottawa at 8pm, hope the hostel is easy to find as I don't have a map.

Miles of farmland
Miles of farmland
Suspension Bridge linking Canada (…
Suspension Bridge linking Canada …
American Fals