Follow the Red Brick Road

Boston Travel Blog

USS Consitution

Arrived in Boston on Friday morning but that day was a bit of a write off so here goes with Saturday. Got the subway (it must be the hottest subway in the world!) across town and walked to the Charlestown Navy Yard Here they have the USS Constitution, the oldest commissioned warship in the world - although I could not exactly see it sailing the high seas but it was interesting to see such a well preserved boat.

Next to it they have the USS Cassin Young - a destroyer that served in WW2 and the Korean War - which you can have a look around . It is in a similar state to how it was during service and you can see how the

From there I followed the freedom trail across the city.

Boston COmmon
This is a 2 ½ mile route that allows visitors to see all the major sights of the city and it is marked out by red bricks in the pavement. Boston feels such a nice city, there is a contrast of old and new buildings

Finished the trail at Boston Common, had a walk over to the Cheers bar and then took the subway to Fenway Park. This is the home of the Boston Red Sox baseball team and it its the oldest baseball stadium in the Major League. Wanted to take the stadium tour but by feet were aching so much I ended up watching the USA lose to Canada in a Softball game on TV in a bar. Softball is similar to baseball but they bowl underarm and apparently in the USA it is a “Beer Sport” - I suppose the American equivalent of Darts or Rugby.

Back at the hostel I went out with some of my fellow travellers for a few beers and then to bed. I would have said sleep but I was sharing a room with 5 French people including a 7 year old girl who had continual nightmares each night. Her stupid mother would not even take her little darling out of the room while she was wailing so we could all get some sleep. Spent an hour staring at the cracks in the ceiling, trying to plot my revenge on the little brat and her mother.

USS Cassin Young