Denver

Denver Travel Blog

View from the hotel room

I'm not exactly sure what time our flight arrived in Denver, but it was maybe around 11pm. We had left the gate on time, but ended up on a tarmac for awhile because of approaching storms, which we flew alongside the entire duration of the flight. We were lucky enough to get first class, but not lucky enough to be on the side the storm was on, so while we knew there was lots of lightning out there, we didn't get to see much of it. So, I paid $10 for inflight wifi, mostly just because I could. A total non-necessity, but, what good is an adventure if you can't validate it by posting it as a Facebook status? I don't usually travel with my laptop, but as I said earlier, I was setting off on a non-rev adventure without any real solid plan in place, I really needed to be able to get online to check flight availability and make last minute hotel reservations.

Teddy and Donkey check out the view
Getting to Denver was 95% of the battle. Now that we were here, we knew we were definitely aiming for Alaska! The Anchorage flight had more than 20 open seats, so the only thing that would prevent us from going would be a cancellation.

We were at the hotel and checked in within about 30 minutes from the time our flight was in the gate (see attached review). In the morning we had breakfast, went swimming, and checked out as late as possible, which was at 3:00. The flight to Anchorage didn't leave until 6:00, but I like observing things in other airports, and I was especially eager to observe how things operated in Denver, since this would be my first time at DIA since officially becoming a Frontier employee. Nonetheless, we were relieved when we got to the airport and discovered there was free wifi.

Pool at the Holiday Inn Denver Airport
This would allow me to obsessively check availability for the flight, and would let Trinity play on Club Penguin to occupy the time. Unfortunately, the internet was slow, and my computer was constantly trying to connect to some other open connection. So we got ice cream from Ben and Jerry's and then read our books.

Later I did a passenger services experiment. At work, people are constantly insisting that they will never make their connection in Denver, because the time is too close. I always inform them that they will, because, provided they are staying on Frontier it's all in the same terminal and the 45 minutes they are so scared of is actually a pretty long time for a typical connection. So I strapped my 30 pound backpack onto my shoulders, walked to the doorway of the furthest jetway in the furthest corner of what we in MKE would call a hammerhead but agents in DEN refer to as the mosh pit, took my phone from my pocket and waited until the minute changed, and walked as casually as I could without being excessively slow or fast.

Relaxing by the pool
I made it to the farthest gate on the opposite end in exactly 5 minutes. I know that it takes no more than 10 minutes to deplane an entire Airbus (any more than that would be a lone wheelchair passenger or excrutiatingly slow family that is intentionally taking their time),  so even if you are the last passenger off of your inbound flight, it will be no longer than 15 minutes from any gate to any gate in Terminal A at DIA. I do the research so you don't have to!

We went to our gate at about 45 minutes prior to departure, and that's when it hit me...we are totally going to Anchorage, but we are totally going to end up in middle seats. That's the only scary thing about flying non-rev with children. Trinity is nine years old now, plus she is tall, so gate agents won't particularily go out of their way to get us next to each other they way they would have when she was four.

Morning swim
I am a gate agent of course, and while my personal attitude is that I will always go out of my way to help non-revs (seeing how I am one), let's just say not every gate agent is on the same page as I am. Sometimes, I have non-revs with little kids who end up getting on at the very last minute, so I can't move people. Still, while as a gate agent I would feel bad if a five year old was seated without a parent, if it was a nine year old I would figure that would be okay. But as a parent, it's very nerve-wracking. Obviously, I don't want my daughter sitting in the middle of two creepy guys in row 8 while I'm between two creepy guys in row 17. Still, it's either this, or pay $1200 apiece for a round trip ticket...or in other words, we sit in middle seats or we don't go at all! Trinity and I always discuss this possibility beforehand, and of course we agree that a middle seat is a small price to pay. Sure enough, we get 3B and 3E. But almost as soon as we got situated, the lady in 3D asks if I want to switch. I said I wouldn't ask her to do that, but she insisted. I offered to pay for her TV on the flight or buy her a drink, but she wouldn't let me do that either. I was so thankful to her. I got the aisle seat next to Trinity, but then we discovered that the TVs just in seats 3DEF were inoperable. Ha! A five hour flight when I would have been happy to pay the full amount for a movie and my TV is broken. But at least we weren't sitting next to any creepy guys...and we were on our way to Alaska!

sylviandavid says:
Trinity looks like a good little traveler... Donkey looks like he might be difficult at times... that subborn thing....
Posted on: Feb 28, 2012
homeres says:
Awesome!
Posted on: Aug 14, 2010
Teddy and Donkey check out the view
Pool at the Holiday Inn Denver Air…
Pool at the Holiday Inn Denver Ai…
Denver Hotels & Accommodations review
Great Denver airport hotel
I got a last minute airline crew rate of $65 at this hotel. I believe the regular rate is about $130. This is an airport hotel, and perfect for that u… read entire review
Denver